I haven’t done one of these in quite some time and people are starting to talk so…with apologies again to the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo who came up with the name I use this segment…here’s The Hanging Shad’s “Apropos of Nothing.”
1. I love the fact that 2014 will bring a knock-down, drag-out fight for governor of Connecticut. Republicans have really failed to draw distinctions from each other which has to come first. Tom Foley came out of the starting blocks like the 2011 Red Sox (they went 0-6). John McKinney is smart, and likeable. But he needs to expand past Fairfield County, and fast. Mark Boughton is the wildcard. He needs to do exactly what he’s doing—raising money and quietly building a campaign infrastructure. Any other candidates who I haven’t mentioned but who have declared their interest have no chance, so go away now.
2. Here’s a new name you should get familiar with: Juliette Kayyem. She very well may be the next governor of Massachusetts. I’ll leave it at that for now.
3. The only holiday ads that bother me are the ones that replace the words of traditional Christmas songs. We’re inches away from, “Hey folks, this is Baby Jesus! When my mom Mary shops for gifts, she goes to Crap, Co., the only place for ‘I am the Savior’ hoodies, fleece sleepy pants and the all new ‘Jesus Chia Pet.” “Je-Je-Je Jesus Pet!” Pathetic.
4. Is there a war on Christmas? I’m not sure about that one but I am certain that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,” is regularly cited without the next part: “or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…” Sorry kids. The Constitutional rightly prohibits the establishment of religion by our government. It doesn’t ensure the freedom from being offended when others are freely exercising their rights.
5. As if it’s not tough enough having a “milestone” birthday in a few weeks, my 16-year old, destined-for-greatness nephew and Godson told me at Christmas that he bought a Mumford and Sons “disc” on “vinyl” so he could play it on “Dad’s turntable-thing.” Glad the turntable is making a comeback. Sort of amused that my nephew thought it was like something out of Jurassic Park.
6. I have the greatest family in the world.
7. If you’re looking for the next breakout Indie music group, check out Haim (rhymes with “time”).
8. Of course, the coolest place to be for New Year’s Eve is at Blue Ocean Music Hall, Salisbury, Mass. with ENTRAIN. (I’m no longer cool—see milestone birthday reference—so I’ll likely not be there.)
9. I love living in the City of Champions.
10. We actually watched “Duck Dynasty” for about three minutes on Christmas Day night. I still don’t understand the premise of the show or its appeal (see uncool reference above).
11. Very much looking forward to droppin’ a new flava in ya’ ear with this blog and my website in the New Year!