With apologies to the Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo to lifting the name, here are random thoughts, observations and delusions, The Hanging Shad’s “Apropos of Nothing.”
1. Is the Connecticut Republican Party falling in love with “star power” as they once did with multi-millionaires? First we had Linda McMahon (twice for US Senate), then Tom Foley (twice for governor). Now we are teased with former Florida Congressman Joe Scarborough from MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” for governor? And economist Larry Kudlow from CNBC’s “The Kudlow Report” against Democratic US Sen. Richard Blumenthal?
The thought here is that Scarborough, who has railed against Gov. Dannel Malloy and the state’s majority Democrats’ tax policy, has a better chance. He has run—and won—campaigns in the past. He also seems to have an idea about other policy issues.
Kudlow on the other hand, has said he would challenge Blumenthal if the Democrat voted for the Iran nuclear deal. Far be it for me to give advice but if this is what Kudlow is going to base his campaign on, he would become a one-trick-pony candidate just as Democrat Ned Lamont was against Joe Lieberman in 2006. Look how that turned out.
2. We went to Kendall Square Cinemas in Cambridge Saturday. The theatre is well-known for off-beat, indie and small studio films you can’t see elsewhere. We saw “Pheonix,” a foreign film set in post-World War II Germany. I’d recommend it but be sure you’re ok with subtitles (which I am usually not).
3. Donald Trump called former New York Congressman Anthony Weiner (husband of Hillary Clinton top aide Huma Abedin) a “sleazebag perv.” Hate to agree with Trump but Weiner, aka Carlos Danger for sexting purposes, is indeed, a creeper. How else would you describe someone who texts his jiffy stiffy to strange (or any) women?
4. One the subject on hating to agree, Speaker of the House John Boehner called fellow Republican and presidential candidate Ted Cruz, “a jackass.” Cruz is just hanging around hoping and praying Trump implodes so he can pick up the crumbs.
5. How in the world are heads not rolling for the debacle that is the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles? Not only are there reports of five- to seven-hour long waits, the state employees behind the counter—assuming one can get to the front of the line without reaching Social Security age—are jumpin’ ugly with the customers.
First, I wouldn’t wait in line for seven for anything! Second, if I did and I reached the front and the pinhead behind the counter was rude? I’d have a meltdown of biblical proportions.
Someone should lose their job over the disaster the department has become. Since the buck should stop at the top, that means former state Sen. Andreas Ayala should get the boot immediately.
6. Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy was in New Hampshire last week bailing water out of the sinking ship that is the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign. He thinks the email controversy will blow over (wrong) and says Bernie Sanders votes for gun control were “politically expedient” (correct).
Here’s hoping the gov. got his state car registered before now.
7. Bridgeport mayoral candidate Joen Ganim’s hubris knows no bounds. “Hooskow Joe” made a photo op out of repairing a chained link fence at a housing project known for its crime problem. Something tells me he wouldn’t have done that to the fence surrounding the federal pen he called home for seven years.
8. It was a year ago my Dad had cancer surgery at Brigham & Women’s hospital here in Boston. Thanks to the doctors and nurses who took care of him. He is back playing golf, walking with my Mom and it’s only be a matter of time before we have a chilly day and he’ll be anxious for their annual trip to their digs in Vero Beach. Dad 3 – Cancer 0.