With apologies to the Boston Globe’s great sports writer Nick Cafardo for lifting the name, here’s The Hanging Shad’s “Apropos of Nothing” because I am avoiding all news coverage related to today’s date:
1. New York City Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was on CNN Thursday telling us that race played no role in the incident in which former tennis star was talked to the ground in a case of mistaken identity. “The [actual] suspect could be [Blake’s] twin brother. So we should put it out there that race played no part,” Bratton said.
I call BS on that one. Even if the cops had the actual guy they were looking for, it was a case of an identity theft ring. Why the need to tackle and handcuff the guy on the ground? How about walking up to him and say, “Hey buddy, we need to talk to you.” Then ID him and take him away.
Blake wasn’t running or making any threatening moves. The question remains: Would they have tackled the suspect if he was white? I doubt it, plain and simple. I met Blake and his brother Thomas several times, a number of years ago. They were nothing short of chill, friendly and complete gentlemen. James doesn’t deserve this. No one does.
2. Does anyone else have a severe problem with their city’s subway communication system? I ride the “T” often and the conductor giving the information seems bothered by having to speak. “NEXT STOP, Cent….zzzz.” The T’s intercom makes Charlie Brown’s teacher sound like Morgan Freeman.
3. The Shad this week called for the resignation of Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles Commissioner Andres Ayala because of the completely unacceptable mess the DMV has become. The response from readers has been universal in support. This is a directly populist government department. Not unlike potholes, people are personally offended and angry at the joke the DMV has become.
4. I love Serena Williams but I have a special fondness for Venus. As the stadium announcer (kind of a hobby dating back to my radio days) for the women’s tennis tournament in New Haven for more than ten years, the most personable, friendly and humble player I ever met was Venus.
5. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker thinks building a wall to keep out illegal immigrants is an idea “worth looking into.” The catch? He’s talking about the Canadian border! And this guy wants to be president? Good Lord.
6. I haven’t seen a spectacle like this week’s event on the steps of the Capitol in quite some time. The DC rally was in support of Kim Adams, the Kentucky hick who won’t permit marriage equality. The stars of the show were Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin and…wait for it…the guy from Duck Dynasty! Nothing says, “We have our political act together” like a backward-ass country f*** with a ZZ Top beard who mucks around in the swamps of Louisiana.
7. Ok, you be the judge. Kansas State’s marching band caught some serious flack for a formation they made at halftime of their game against South Dakota. Observers say it was not the Starship Enterprise attacking rival Kansas’ mascot but some a little more…well…you decide:
8. Hey haters, get over it. He’s back. And he’s not happy:
P.S. You’ve also been Gronked!
9. I don’t care to write anymore about what I witnessed 14 years ago. I’ll leave it at that.