1. It’s in the scorpion’s nature. What did the Trump campaign think was going to happen when it let Ted Cruz speak at the convention—in prime time on night number three no less? There are no surprises. Cruz didn’t endorse Trump and basically kicked off “Cruz 2020” no matter who wins this year.
2. He faked the moon landing, too. Don’t forget, Trump inferred Cruz’s dad was involved in the Kennedy assassination. And it was just a few months ago that Cruz called Trump a “pathological liar,” “utterly amoral,” “a narcissist at a level I don’t think this country’s ever seen” and “a serial philanderer.” And the Trump campaign thought he would add “But I endorse him”? Not a chance.
3. They’re not saying “Croooooze,” their booing. Led by the New York delegation, Cruz was booed off the stage when it became clear there would be no endorsement. Heidi Cruz had to be escorted off the floor as delegates yelled at her.
Stay classy, Republicans.
4. Pence is really serious about his anti-gay thing. He left Trump hanging like a school girl at a dance when Trump went into for a smooch. “Not on me, pal.”
5. Off with her head! Those calling for Hillary to be in prison are getting out of hand. Remember the days when the most radical thing you’d hear from a Republican crowd was “drill, baby, drill?” Now we have chants of “Lock her up!” And sadly, it was the only time the party was unified this week.
In one case, a state representative from New Hampshire called for Mrs. Clinton to be shot in a firing squad for treason. Al Baldasaro is a Trump advisor on veterans’ issues. The Secret Service is investigating.
Then again, New Hampshire brought us Vermin Supreme, a presidential candidate who campaigned wearing a boot on his head. He got 240 votes. Love that Granite State.
6. Can these guys say anything original? First, Melania lifts verbatim part of a speech given by Michelle Obama. Now, it seems Donald Trump, Jr. cribbed part of his speech from a May American Conservative article.
7. McIver-ing. As far as Melania is concerned, in-house speech writer Meredith McIver has fallen on her sword and admits to making the mistake of lifting whole parts of Mrs. Obama’s speech from eight years ago. But in her defense, all McIver had to work with was some rope, paper clips, some duct tape, two fuses and Michelle Obama’s old speeches.
Connecticut’s political humorist of record Colin McEnroe says reporter/writer/blogger/speaker types are so outraged by the plagiarism because they know they would lose their jobs if they copied someone else’s work. He’s right as he usually is.
8. Please to meet you, hope you guess my name…Possibly trying to outdo everyone else, one-time candidate Ben Carson said Hillary Clinton is a devil worshipper. Ok, not in those words but pretty close. The guy is a nut.
9. Mike who? VP nominee Mike Pence’s speech was completely overshadowed by the Cruz speech. Pence was basically relegated to obscurity Get used to it. You’ll either be vice president or the former governor of Indiana. Either way, you’re irrelevant. The “Latino judge” Trump attacked earlier this year was born in Indiana. What say you about THAT, Mr. Pence?
Strangely, to get people to what Pence, there was a Pokeman Go character behind Pence’s head during his speech.
10 Not off to a good start. Pence: “Donald Trump will rebuild our military and stand with our allies.” Trump: “…asked about Russia’s threatening activities that have unnerved the small Baltic States that are among the more recent entrants into NATO, Mr. Trump said that if Russia attacked them, he would decide whether to come to their aid only after reviewing whether those nations ‘have fulfilled their obligations to us.’”
11. “Awful things have been done on this island.” The big jumbo-monitors in Quicken Loans Arena went dark during Eric Trump’s speech. The delegates appeared ready to go all “Lord of the Flies” on each other.
12.. Come and join the party dressed to kill. At the conclusion of Newt Gingrich’s speech, The Who’s “Eminence Front.” blared from the speakers. “It’s an eminence front—it’s a put on, it’s a put on, it’s a put on.” Indeed.
13. Where is that? Wright State has officially withdrawn as the site for a presidential debate for security reason. Not sure that was necessary. Even the Raiders have trouble finding their own school.
14.. Dirty McDirtface in the fourth at Pimlico. Paul Manafort strikes me as the guy at the dog track chomping on a cigar, smelling of stale bourbon with a folded Racing Form in his hand.