With apologies to the great Boston Globe sportswriter Nick Cafardo for lifting the name, here is The Hanging Shad’s “Apropos of Nothing.” So much material, so little time.
1. Is it finally over? Has Donald Trump finally hit rock bottom? Will he finally be shunned by every thinking person in this country? I have been on social media more than I have ever been over this latest episode.
I become infuriated when I read people equating what Trump has said to how Bill Clinton treated women and Hillary vilified the women Bill abused. I simply cannot equate the faults and flaws in the two candidacies. Clinton is at worse an untrustworthy, “I’m-above-the-law,” lying, career politician. Donald Trump is not simply an entitled SOB. His misogyny, demeaning of women, Mexicans, Muslims, the handicapped, etc is unprecedented. Even his running mate refused to back up his craziest statements. It is not hyperbole to fear for the end of the world if he is elected.
Anyone so obsessed with a tweet at 3am should be nowhere near the nuclear codes. This latest leaked tape I agree is “locker room” talk. I’ve been in an awful lot of locker rooms—including at the highest levels—and never heard that type of jaw-dropping nonsense. If you have a daughter, how can you not shun this man? How can your outrage over his approach to women not make you seethe? How can you truly care about your daughters’ future and not only not support this man but not demand he be treated with contempt. Simply, how?
I have two nieces by family and two nieces by love. I will use every ounce of energy in my body (and keyboard) to be sure they don’t come of age with a madman, sexist, women-objectifying lunatic. It’s my responsibility. And it should be yours.
2. All things considered, I’d rather be on the Vineyard (even in October). No traffic and Mike Benjamin at The Ritz every night possible.
3. All other issues aside, was anyone else distracted by Tim Kaine’s Belushi-like eyebrow movement during the VP debate? He can The Rock a run for his money.
4. Prosecute them. Maybe it’s because I don’t a damn anymore about what politicians think about what I write. But at least I have the guts to say what other people are too scared to. Conn.’s Department of Children and Families commissioner Joette Katz should be fired immediately over this Baby Dallas case.
The front line workers responsible for checking in on the well being of the child should not simply be suspended. They should be fired and prosecuted under the state’s child endangerment laws.
5. Aw, but it was such a sweet gesture. Cinnamon Roll Can Explodes Inside Man’s Butt During Las Vegas Shoplifting Incident. You have to read this one to believe it. See it here.
6. Ring my bell-ellllll, ring my bell. Remember Matt Bevin, the East Hampton, Conn. Bell factory owner? Well, after being beaten by Mitch McConnell for McConnell’s US Senate seat, Bevin managed to be elected Kentucky’s governor. Turns out, Bevin is a right-wing whack job who recently said conservatives may need to resort to physical violence to protect against liberals.
Bevin says bloodshed may be needed soon. “Whose blood will be shed? It may be that of those in this room. It might be that of our children and grandchildren. I have nine children,” he said. “It breaks my heart to think that it might be their blood that is needed to redeem something, to reclaim something that we, through our apathy and our indifference, have given away. Don’t let it happen.” This guy needs his bell rung.
7. It’s Karma, Kramer. Buy one and the raccoons will stay out of your garbage cans.
8. I’ll take journalistic excellence for $1,000, Alex. Get yourself on board and support the best in journalism.I got my cool mug and support CTNewsJunkie 100%
9. I’m no expert but… And finally, my people, is this. Those Chinese are pretty crafty.